Thursday, January 12, 2017

Hesitation or Hope for the Future?

January 7, 2017
Scripture
Genesis 19:16-17 
When he (Lot) hesitated, the men grasped his hands and the hands of his wife and of his two daughters, and led them safely out of the city, for the Lord was merciful to them.
As soon as they had brought them out, one of them said, "Flee for your lives!  Don't look back, and don't stop anywhere in the plain!  Flee to the mountains or you will be swept away!"

(But Lot's wife looked back, and she became a pillar of salt.)

Observation
I'm mindful of Lot's hesitation to leave behind the past and move to a new place - to flee!  With a warning, "Don't look back!"
He didn't seem to pick up on the urgency to leave.  His sons in law thought he was joking.
Obedience to God is necessary for life.  When we hesitate to obey the Lord, it reveals what is in our heart; such as, doubt, indecision, non-commitment, and fear.  Spending too much time thinking about what the angels were saying almost cost Lot his life.
Hesitation is not an option in responding to God.  Looking back can kill!

Application
When God is talking to me about change - don't hesitate.  Obey God immediately when I hear Him and do what He says.  Don't dwell on the past or the way things were.  Looking back can 'sweep me away' . . . there is no future when I dwell in the past.  

Prayer
Father, what vivid stories in the Bible!  Yes, they really happened that I might learn!  As I journey through Your Word this year, speak to me, that I might take to heart all You want to teach me.  Give me hope for the future!  No turning back!  I press on to the goal - to win the prize of God's high calling, in Jesus Christ my Lord!

Romans 15:4 Everything that was written in the past was written to teach us, so that through the endurance taught in the Scriptures and the encouragement they provide, we might have hope!  

No comments:

Post a Comment