Thursday, July 6, 2017

The Altar

7/4/17  
Scripture  
2 Kings 16:10,11.12, 15b  Then King Ahaz went to Damascus to meet Tiglath-Pileser, King of Assyria.  
He saw an altar in Damascus and sent Uriah the priest a sketch of the altar, with detailed plans for it's construction.  So Uriah the priest built an altar in accordance with all the plans that King Ahaz had sent from Damascus and finished it before King Ahaz returned.  When the king came back from Damascus and saw the altar, he approached it and presented offerings on it.  v15b But I will use the bronze altar for seeking guidance.

Observation
Ahaz saw something he wanted and had it replicated and it became the large new altar for sacrifice offerings - but Ahaz used the bronze altar for divination - seeking guidance.  He mixed the Israelite religion with a pagan religion.  Ahaz tried to improve on what God had already divinely ordained for the exact dimensions and look the altars in the temple were to be.  Ahaz wanted a bigger, better altar.  Ahaz was trying to 'enhance'  his worship to God and instead it turned his devotion from God to the new altar.  He used the bronze altar for seeking guidance instead of asking God for guidance.  

Application
Bigger is not always better.  Keep worship simple.  Don't covet!  Seek guidance from the Lord. 

Prayer
Father, You are my all in all.   I love reading Your word and wondering what I can glean from all the wonderful stories.  Teach me Lord through Your word, the life lessons You want me to learn.  Cleanse my heart O God - I seek Your will and Your way.  I am a life long learner, an eager student, and a willing teacher,  in Jesus Name, A-men.  

No comments:

Post a Comment