Tuesday, January 9, 2018

Taking Possession of God's Promises

Scripture
Genesis 23:19-20  Afterward Abraham buried his wife Sarah in the cave in the field of Machpelah near Mamre (which is at Hebron) in the land of Canaan.  So the field and the cave in it were deeded over to Abraham by the Hittites as a burial site.  

Observation
Abraham's purchase of the field and cave meant that Abraham would now own land in Canaan, the promised land that God spoke to him about in Genesis 12:7 "To your descendants, I will give this land . . . "
It also confirmed that Abraham and his descendants were now connected to the land of promise.  The purchase included the field and the cave (burial site for Sarah), and all the trees which were in the field, and it was deeded over to Abraham for 400 shekels of silver in front of many witnesses.  

Application
Take ownership of the promises of God!  Take them to heart!  I'm reminded of a story about my trekking poles.  I am a hiker, and at times, I use my trekking poles to help me in my walk.  The poles pull me forward and keep me balanced as I walk on uneven and difficult terrain.  In the same way God's promises assure me of my calling, and that I am empowered by the Holy Spirit to do the things He says for me to do.  In my journey with God, His promises help pull me forward and help me balance and keep me from falling over when there are many obstacles in the way.  I can rely on my trekking poles, but even more I can rely on the promises of God for the difficult days of life!  With every planting of the pole, or promise of God, I am able to keep going, keep steady, and continue the journey with confidence and strength from God.  

Prayer
Father, may Your promises keep me going forward in You.  Steady me, balance me, keep me from falling O God.  You are my strength and my confidence!  Just as Abraham intentionally took possession of Your promise, may I too, take possession of the promises I have in You.   In Jesus Name, A-men.


No comments:

Post a Comment