Thursday, April 20, 2017

Constant Friend

Scripture
1 Samuel 23:15-18 While David was at Horesh in the Desert of Ziph, he learned that Saul had come out to take his life.  And Saul's son Jonathan went to David at Horesh and helped him find strength in God.  "Don't be afraid," he said.  "My father Saul will not lay a hand on you.  You will be king over Israel, I will be second to you. Even my father Saul knows this."  The two of them made a covenant before the Lord.  Then Jonathan went home, but David remained in Horesh.  

Observation
David was being pursued by Saul so he could kill him.  Saul felt threatened by David and was going to get rid of him.  Jonathan, Saul's son, knew how to find David and went to him to encourage and comfort him.  A 'constant' friend who is faithful, dependable - it's Jonathan.  Pure, noble, and self-denying Jonathan came along side to support David and strengthen him in God.  He tells him not to be afraid - God has his back!  God has said David will be king and Jonathan reminds David, "You will be king over Israel!"  Jonathan gladly puts himself as second to David even though Saul wants Jonathan to be king.

Application
The friendship of Jonathan and David is a great example of how God wants me to be a friend and also receive friendship from others.  One who has unreliable friends soon comes to ruin, but there is a friend who sticks closer than a brother. (Proverbs 18:24)  Christ Jesus, will never forsake those who trust in him and love him.  He has given His Holy Spirit to encourage and strengthen me in my walk with God.  

Prayer
Father, You have sent me friends at specific times in my life to come along side and encourage me to trust in You and not be afraid of whatever I may be facing.  You've given Your beloved Son, who is my Friend and Savior, and Risen Lord, along with Your Holy Spirit power and grace to be my Helper and Teacher.  You have not left me alone but have given me all I need.  May I not only be a true and faithful friend to others, but also be willing to receive friendship from those You send my way.  In Jesus Name, A-men.  

No comments:

Post a Comment